With a new school term approaching, the Department of Commerce, International Trade, Investment, Enterprise Development and Consumer Affairs would like to remind retailers of School Text Books that school text books and supplies are subject to price control under the Distribution and Price of Goods Act, No. 35 of 2006.
In accordance with Section:35 of the Act, the following must be noted:
(1) A trader shall, before the sale of any goods, the maximum price of which has been fixed pursuant to a Price Order, deliver to the Director an invoice and a calculation sheet, in the form prescribed in the Schedule, in respect of such goods for approval of the selling price.
(2) A trader shall not sell goods unless – (a) he or she complies with subsection (1); and (b) the Director has approved the selling price.
(3) A trader shall not give any false quotation price on the invoice or calculation sheet.
(4) A trader who contravenes subsection (2) or (3) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or to imprisonment not exceeding two years or to both.
Retailers are also reminded that pursuant to: Section 37 of the Act; (1) A person shall not sell or offer for sale any good in excess of the maximum price fixed by a Price Order.
(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both.
Retailers of controlled items, such as: School Text Books, Exercise Books, Atlases, Dictionaries, Drawing Books, Note Books, Geometry Sets, Crayons and Colour Pencils, are therefore further reminded of their responsibilities as contained in the relevant sections of the Distribution and Price of Goods Act.
For Further information, retailers and consumers are asked to contact the Consumer Affairs Division at 468 4227/32.
Copies of the Distribution and Price of Goods Act, No. 35 of 2006 can be purchased from the National Printing Co-operation located at the corner of Laborie and Jeremie Streets in Castries.
Accordingly, the Division hereby solicits the co-operation of all retailers.