[Press Release] Causing Death by Dangerous Driving
On Saturday February 17, 2018 about 8:40pm, officers attached to the Traffic Department, Castries, responded to a traffic accident where motor scooter registration number PJ1414 driven by Magaran Joseph of Ciceron came into contact with Rita Andrew, a 78 year old resident of Ciceron.
Rita Andrew sustained injuries as a result of the traffic accident and was conveyed to the Victoria Hospital. On Friday March 9, 2018, Rita Andrew succumbed to her injuries at the Victoria Hospital.
A post mortem examination was conducted on Tuesday March 13, 2018, which revealed the cause of death was traumatic brain injury as a result of a motor vehicular accident.
On Wednesday March 14, 2018, Magaran Joseph, a twenty (20) year old resident of Ciceron, Castries was formally arrested and charged with the following offences;
- Causing death by dangerous driving
- Driving without driver’s license
- Driving without insurance
- Failing to register motor vehicle
He was taken before the First District Court on Thursday March 15, 2018 where he was granted bail with the following conditions;
- For the charge of causing death by dangerous driving, he was bailed in the sum of $15 000 or suitable surety, cash or land documents. He is to surrender his travel documents.
- For the summary offences of driving without driver’s license; driving without insurance; and failing to register motor vehicle, he was bailed in the sum of $1000, suitable surety, cash or land documents.
Additionally, he is to report to the Central Police Station daily between the hours of 6am to 6pm daily. This incident brings the number of road fatalities recorded for the year 2018 to (7) seven.
The Royal Saint Lucia Police Force would like express condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.